Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Elizabeth

I decided to jump ahead a few years (or back in time, really) and watched Elizabeth today. This exceptional film was released in 1998 and was directed by Shekhar Kapur, and includes a slew of cast members like Geoffrey Rush, Joseph Fiennes, and Daniel Craig. (yes! Daniel Craig, the new James Bond!) Elizabeth is forced upon the throne when her dear half-sister Queen Mary falls ill (with child?) and tragically dies. Elizabeth arises to the throne with much pressure of obtaining a husband to ward off bands of treacherous enemies, the pope, and other Catholics. (yikes!) Oh, and Daniel Craig plays a pope that targets a poor, random, Elizabethan follower and bludgeons him over the head with a rock. Classy.

I remember watching parts of this film in my freshman year of high school's history class, but I only remembered the part at the end where she comes out wearing all white declaring she is married....to England, so I decided another viewing was in order. I was thoroughly impressed with the cinematography, costuming, make-up, casting, script, acting, and everything else that involves a film. I personally am a big fan of renaissance-era clothing and was completely over-whelmed with all of the awesome ideas I soaked up while watching this. I lost count of Cate Blanchett's costume changes after about 5. *Mental Note* Make a Renaissance-era noble woman's dress!!

A note on Shekhar Kapur, since I am unawares of his prominence in the film world: Kapur was born in what is now modern-day Pakistan to a rich doctor father and notable journalist mother. He is a big director in Bollywood and apparently directed a semi-notable film called Mr. Bandit, which I have never seen or heard of, so I suppose it is now going on my list of movies to see. Kapur also of course directed Elizabeth: The Golden Age, which I have yet to see as well. Blog for that coming soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment